Helpful Insights on How to Beat Shyness
Author: Trevor Johnson
Do you always stall on what to say in a simple conversation? Then you are probably shy. Other irrefutable signs of shyness are a gloomy social life and the inability to meet new people. It is important that you battle this condition because of its negative implications. Contrary to populist perception, handling shyness is quite easy. There are three core areas that you should address.
You should dig deep and unearth the main reason why you are shy. Is it because of a past experience or the need to fit it? There are so many reasons that revolve around shyness. The following are some three unmatched ways of comprehensively addressing them.
- Confidence building. Lack of confidence is actually one of the key contributors to shyness. You can build your confidence by repeatedly talking to people. How does this go about? Quite simple. You can develop a habit of saying hi to a particular person whenever you meet. With time, you will have developed enough confidence to have a flawless conversation with this person.
- Building a positive attitude. Maybe you have an indescribable fear of rejection. In most cases, the fear of rejection brews an incredible level of shyness. Whether your shyness is built from a past experience of rejection or just the fear, you should change your attitude on this matter. If someone rejects you, take it lightly and see it as a lost opportunity for them rather than you.
Secondly, you should work on your personality. Having a good personality will allow you to make more friends and consequentially kiss shyness good bye. Where should you start?
- Self-discovery. You should embark on a journey of rediscovering your true self. In most cases, the shyness causes you to have alternate personalities to the point that your true personality gets lost somewhere in the rabble. You can rediscover yourself by doing things that you’re passionate about. With time, you will discover the real you and people who honestly like you will unknowingly get drawn towards you.
- Polish up on the rough edges. You don’t need to be a genius to crack this one. Very few people are blunt to the extent of directly telling you your flaws. All the same, you can pick up signals and signs from conversations with your close friends. When you clear all the bad sides. Your personality will beckon people to talk to you. This will slowly kill the shyness.
Lastly, perfect your inter-personal skills. You should know how to maintain a lively conservation that will ultimately lead to a solid friendship. This is a crucial step in crushing shyness.
- Use inquisitive conversations. People like talking about themselves. The more they open up to you, they more they get drawn towards you. They will also feel obliged to know something about you. As the conversation progresses, the shyness will gradually melt away. You should nonetheless take a tactful approach towards inquisitive conversations as you don’t want to sound like an interrogator.
- Don’t get self absorbed. Most shy people do this in a last ditch attempt to please. Newsflash. It doesn’t work! Instead, you should work on patience and most importantly drift with the flow of the conversation.
If you follow the above steps and believe in yourself you will certainly kick shyness out the door.
About the Author